We’re experiencing a STEM crisis in the UK. With pupils increasingly shunning science, technology, engineering and maths in favour of other topics at A Level, a skills gap in these important subjects could slow economic growth and impede our progress in technological fields. But there are solutions to help reverse this trend! Well-equipped mobile science labs for schools can help to turn pupils on to STEM subjects and inspire them to commit to science and technology at A Level and beyond.
WHY ARE YOUNG PEOPLE PUT OFF MATHS AND SCIENCE IN SCHOOLS?
Children are naturally curious; they’re interested in finding out how things work. But somehow that innate inquisitiveness doesn’t always translate into academic engagement with school subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and maths. In secondary education, young people’s early experience of STEM in their school science labs often seems to put them off further study, with only a minority of students choosing to study science, technology or maths at A Level. If this trend continues, the UK will suffer a shortage of skilled science specialists in the next generation.
There are two main reasons why young people aren’t choosing to study STEM subjects:
- Misconceptions about the subjects – young people may feel STEM is too difficult or for geeks; girls might be put off because they think these are traditionally male areas of study
- Science labs in schools are often uninspiring places. In ill-equipped school science labs, students don’t make a connection between the subjects they’re studying and their application to real-life, exciting careers in science and technology
MAKING SCIENCE MORE ATTRACTIVE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
It’s clear that a culture change is needed in order to turn young people on to the benefits and attractions of STEM. In a world where new and developing technology is increasingly shaping our day-to-day lives, schools can help to cultivate an attitude of discovery and inspiration in the science lab.
- Making science relevant to its real-world applications can produce the motivation needed to study and achieve – because pupils can see how a future STEM career might be for them. Meeting scientists of both genders who can act as role models, visiting science museums and watching popular science programmes can all help to convince young people that science really matters, and that it’s something they can do
- Learning environment really matters. Dedicated, mobile science labs for schools equipped with modern technology can help to turn pupils on to STEM subjects by providing an inspiring and exciting place to make scientific discoveries of their own. Modern, modular science labs offer the ideal environment for increasing engagement in young people
Bespoke mobile science labs for schools
At Green Modular, we specialise in building attractive and well-appointed learning environments for schools. Our mobile science labs really can make all the difference to students, with mindfully designed modern spaces translating to a more enjoyable learning experience and better learning outcomes. Modular science labs equipped with everything required for a hands-on science education can help to make STEM subjects enjoyable for all.
Our inspiring mobile science labs for schools are purpose-built to create the very best science and technology learning environment for your students. The modular education buildings are always built to your bespoke specifications, and engineered to suit your exact requirements. They can feature all the specialist equipment you need, including gas burners, sinks and lab tables for small group work. We can work with you to fill the space efficiently, making the best use of every last inch.
ADVANTAGES OF MODULAR LABS OVER CONVERTED CLASSROOMS
Why build a whole new science lab, if you have existing room to spare? If you are considering converting an existing room within your school into a lab, you may be unconvinced of the benefits of mobile science labs for schools. But a modern, purpose-built, dedicated learning environment for science has many advantages:
- Save money. You might be surprised at how cost-effective building a modular science lab can be. In our experience, installing a modular science lab on the school grounds is likely to be much cheaper than trying to shoehorn a functioning science lab into an outdated part of the school. Contact us for a quote to discuss your requirements and see how much you could save.
- Latest technology. In a purpose-built modular lab, you will be equipped with integrated classroom technology that can enable all kinds of teaching media, from interactive whiteboards and iPads to 3D printers and immersive technology, as well as modern apparatus for physics, chemistry, biology, design technology or IT. Seeing cutting-edge technology in action will help to inspire your pupils and impart a love of science to the next generation.
- Extra classroom. By appointing our architects to design a mobile science lab for your school, you could end up saving space. Most schools have areas of ‘dead space’ within the grounds that aren’t used. We can help you to identify such areas, position your new modular science lab in the most efficient location and free up that spare classroom to use for a different purpose.
- Flexibility. Mobile science labs can have a double life. Although your new science lab will feature all the equipment you need for cutting-edge STEM education, we can build a flexible space so that if needed, your modular classroom can double up to accommodate other subjects or uses, too.
- Learning environment. In addition to all the mod cons and hi-tech accessories you require, a purpose-built modular classroom is a pleasant and comfortable place to study, designed to be a positive learning environment that can be enjoyed by everyone. Alongside student-centred learning approaches like the flipped classroom technique, a well-designed modern learning space will help pupils feel valued and encourage a positive attitude to learning.